I’ve been dying to share the recipe for this low carb zucchini and basil soup but it keeps disappearing (yum!). Finally, here it is. I do hope you love it.
Why Zucchini & Basil You Ask?
- They’re both low carb and packed full of nutrition.
- It takes very little prep to make soup based on these two super food ingredients.
- They combine to make a bowl of creamy, green goodness that really hits the spot.
- Low carb zucchini and basil soup is the perfect entrée, lunch-time or any-time meal.
Fresh Ingredients from the Garden
The husband has been hard at work planting our tree-change garden and we have zucchini and basil ripe for the picking. I can’t tell you how good it feels to gather the fixings for a meal straight from the garden.
It’s Quick & Easy to Make Low Carb Zucchini and Basil Soup!
Ready To Eat in 30 Minutes!
- You don’t need to work up a sweat dicing and slicing, we’re going to make this as super simple as possible!
- Once cleaned, chop veggies roughly and add to pan with a few simple ingredients (that I share in the full recipe below).
- No fuss, no muss!
- When veggies are fork-tender it’s time to puree with a hand blender!
You’ll Need a Good Hand Blender for Premium Creaminess!Bamix Pro-2 Hand Blender
I use my trusty Bamix for this step because it’s the UBER of all hand blenders. It’s a powerful immersion hand blender that gives all your dishes and desserts that professional chef’s touch.👌
A good immersion hand blender will serve you well for many years and it’s great for making creamy soups like this low carb zucchini and basil soup recipe.
The hand blender is what is going to make your soup “souper” creamy!
Do You Have Low Carb Bouillon (Stock) Powder for This Recipe? Instant Chicken Bone Broth Powder, Collagen Rich ~ Natural, Low Carb, Rich in Protein & Nutrients ~ Just Add Water
You can use your own homemade stock if you have some on hand but I like to use powders so I don’t have to spend hours making my own.
I prefer a stock powder like this one here.
It’s low carb, nutrient dense and quick to grab off the shelf and toss in boiling water when I’m making soups like these.
I don’t have to think about whether or not I have stock on hand when I keep some of this in the kitchen.
My Low Carb Zucchini and Basil Soup Recipe!
Low Carb Zucchini and Basil Soup
A delightfully creamy, low carb zucchini and basil soup. Packed with green goodness and tasty to boot!
- 6 medium zucchini approx 2.5 lbs/1.2 kg, roughly chopped
- 2 medium brown onions roughly chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh basil stalks removed (approx 1 oz/30g of leaves plus couple extra sprigs for garnish)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 5 cups of homemade chicken or vegetable stock OR or 5 cups stock made with low carb chicken or vegetable bouillon stock powder and boiled water, as per product directions
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream plus little extra to swirl into individual bowls when serving
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Clean vegetables and basil thoroughly. Remove coarse ends from zucchini and stems from basil and discard.
Chop zucchini, onion and garlic roughly, leave basil leaves whole
Add olive oil to a medium-to-large sized saucepan and place on cook-top at low to medium heat
Add chopped veggies to pan and saute lightly in oil for 1-2 minutes
Add 5 cups of prepared stock to the pan and stir (cold homemade stock is fine but stock made with bouillon stock powder and boiled water will help speed up the cooking process)
Add basil leaves to the pot, stir into soup
Add salt and pepper and stir into the soup
Increase the heat until soup comes to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and put lid on saucepan (this lessens evaporation)
Cook soup for 20 minutes or until zucchini is just fork tender (not mushy)
Remove soup from heat and blend with Bamix or regular stick blender directly in pot, blending until smooth. Alternatively, an upright blender may be used, just be sure to puree the soup in small batches to avoid risk of scalds!
When soup is smooth add 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream and use Bamix, regular stick blender or upright blender to mix through
Taste a little of the soup and adjust seasoning if neededTo Serve
Ladle into individual bowls/ramekins, swirl in 1 tsp of cream per bowl and sprinkle with finely chopped basil.
You Might Enjoy These With This Recipe
- An immersion hand mixer just like the one I have!
- How about some low carb chicken or vegetable bouillon (stock) powder?
- A cool long neck serving ladle, who doesn’t need that?
- 4-Quart covered soup pot.
- You’ll need a nice sturdy soup mug to enjoy this delightfully creamy soup on the go!
FREE Sugar Swapper
NEED HELP REPLACING SUGAR?
This FREE Sugar Swapper has got you covered.
- Eliminates guesswork
- Contains a variety of popular sugar free sweeteners
- Swap sugar for healthier options the easy way!